Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I learned a lesson today.

I had a ten-page research paper due this morning at 9:30. So, of course, I didn't start a single iota of work on it until last night. I sat down at my laptop and wrote the whole excruciating thing, then went to print and, ooops, my printer was uninstalled and I couldn't fix it. So i'm sitting there at like midnight staring at this masterpiece of a last-minute-paper on my screen, and I realize that I, A) cannot print it, B)have no floppy disk on which to save it and print from another computer, and C) do not even have the internet, so i couldn't even email it to myself or anything. I was kind of frozen in time. Or, more accurately, in shock.
So i went to my friend Jess's apartment at some horrible i-dont-even-want-to-know morning hour, armed with my laptop. I re-typed the whole miserable thing (yeah, the development of evolutionary theory from ancient greek philosophy to darwin, loads of fun) and, since she also doesn't have a printer, emailed it to myself so i could go waste money printing it at school (ten cents a page?!?!?! Don't they bleed us enough on tuition?!?) So, yes, it was fun. And I learned a lesson.

But, while I was slaving over this paper for the second time in a six-hour period, I was blessed with the presence of, you guessed it, kitties.
What? KITTIES?! JACKPOT!!!
Jess has two kitties, one older and one really really little and cute and fuzzy. (In fact, we call her "fuzz ball" -- as far as i know, that's her real name.) The kitties were chasing each other around Jess's apartment, jumping on the desk, playing with my hair, it was great. Animals are so healing. The kitties healed me of my anguish, almost.
I once got to sit on the grass and play with a bull mastif puppy for twenty minutes, it was the greatest thing ever. And in the office underneath my jiu jitsu school, there's a little golden retriever puppy named Ruby who will come bounding out the door to meet me every time she hears me coming down the stairs after class. She gets so excited that her body gets all wiggly, she'll roll onto her back so i can rub her belly, but then she just gets so worked up and excited that she jumps up and licks my face until i practically drown. I love it!!!

Ok, by the way, something that belongs to Jess, is it " Jess' " or "Jess's " or what???? When i journal, I always end with "In Jesus's name" but i'm afraid that I'm spelling it wrong. I don't want to offend Him. Although i suppose that my spelling errors shouldn't be of as much concern as, say, all my sins. :)

And, back onto kitty names, this is the evolution of my cat's name. Her real, official name is "Isabelle" but I'm pretty sure i've never acutally called her that. She's "kitty" when she's behaving well, and "cat" when she's being naughty. And my family has this weird thing where we call all animals "Peter" -- my sister started it when she spontaneously names all the random deer in my parent's backyard Peter one night a few years ago. So any deer, squirrel, dog, cat, lizard, etc. is Peter. So, naturally, my cat has been called Peter a number of times. Lately, I've been putting a little accent to it, so the "r" isn't pronounced. This turned her name into "Pita." And this recently evolved into "Falafel." I guess I might be a little obsessed with food??? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home